You create a section with, let's say, 20 questions, each question worth 10 points. Turn the randomizer on and set it to 5. This means each respondent will get 5 random questions out of a total of 20 with 50 points max for the section.
Here are some benefits of question randomization in online assessments:
- It ensures fairness. Without question randomization, respondents could potentially share assessment questions with each other, giving some respondents an unfair advantage over others. By randomizing the order and selection of questions, each respondent receives a unique set of questions, making it much more difficult for respondents to share answers.
- It helps prevent cheating. When respondents know the order or content of questions in advance, they may have the opportunity to cheat by accessing answers before the assessment. Randomizing the questions ensures that respondents cannot predict the order or content of the assessment, making cheating much more difficult.
- It ensures that the assessment is valid and reliable. Validity refers to the extent to which a test measures what it is supposed to measure. Reliability refers to the consistency of results over time. By randomizing the questions, we ensure that each respondent is tested on the same content and that the assessment is consistent over time.
- It helps respondents to focus. When respondents know the order or content of questions in advance, they may be more likely to focus on certain topics or concepts, while neglecting others. By randomizing the questions, respondents are forced to pay equal attention to all topics, which helps to ensure a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.
- Makes it easier to analyze results. When questions are randomized, it is easier to compare the performance of respondents. If each respondent receives the same set of questions in the same order, it becomes much more difficult to compare results accurately.
In conclusion, question randomization is an important aspect of online assessments. It ensures fairness, prevents cheating, ensures validity and reliability, helps respondents focus, and makes it easier to analyze results. By using question randomization, we can ensure that online assessments are a fair and reliable way to assess respondent knowledge and understanding.